I love cheesecake. In particular I love Vermont Velvet Cheesecakes. I must admit I’m a bit of a cheesecake snob. I want my cheesecake plain, rich and creamy. The only adornment is strawberries and whipped cream. There are tons of cheesecake recipes out there, and sadly none of them are my loved Vermont Velvet recipe. So I chose one that looked promising based on the ingredients I had on hand and given my tendency to work with what I got and misread recipes, I altered it. Many called for sour cream, but I didn’t have any so I opted for one that called for cream cheese and cream. I also am not too fond of a graham cracker crust so I substituted a sweet pie crust. Feel free to use a graham cracker crust if that’s what you prefer.
- 2 cups of flour3/4c shortening (LPT: substitute coconut oil, it’s delicious. Sadly I was out of coconut oil)
- A few teaspoons of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4c Sugar
- 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese
- 1c half and half
- 1c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
To Make the Crust:
- Combine flour, sugar and sale and mix well.
- Add shortening and cut with pastry cutter or fork and knife until it forms chunks the size of peas.
- Add just enough water to hold dough together.
- Coat your spring form pan with cooking spray/shortening/coconut oil and flour to prevent sticking, wrap bottom of pan in foil.
- Press dough into 9″ spring form pan.
To Make the Cheesecake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bring a pot of water to a boil.
- In a large bowl use your hand mixer (or stand mixer) to whip cream cheese & sugar until smooth. LPT: Let your cream cheese soften for a few min before mixing for an easier time.
- Add eggs on at a time, mixing until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and half and half, mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into your pie crust in the spring form pan.
- Place spring form pan on a large pan and put into oven. Add hot water to the large pan as a water bath. I used a jelly roll pan/cookie sheet and put in about a half inch of water.
- Bake for 45-55min. Check at 45 min you don’t want to over cook. It will still be jiggly in the middle if you jiggle the pan. Turn off the oven and allow to finish cooking for another hour in the cooling oven.
- After an hour check your cheese cake. I removed mine at this time to finish cooling on the counter.
My cheese cake did not crack. I cooked it for 45min, but probably could have gone an extra 5 or 10 min.
LPT: If you are going to use the trick of 2 plates to flip the cheese cake over to remove the bottom of the spring form pan, make sure to line the top plate with plastic wrap and wait until the cheesecake is completely cool. Otherwise you will take a big chunk of cheese cake out. Like I did. Yes, that’s why the top of my cheese cake is messed up.
The Final Verdict: Easy and delicious! It’s slightly lighter than I had expected, due to the half and half and only using 2 packages of cream cheese. However, it still tastes good. Would make again!
Have you tried my recipe? Tell me about it in the comments! Let me know how it went!